开本:787×98016印张:22字数:478千字
版次:2017年3月第1版
印次:2017年3月第1次印刷
凡所购买电子工业出版社图书有缺损问题,请向购买书店调换。若书店售缺,请与本社
发行部联系,联系及邮购电话010)88254888,8825888
质量投诉请发邮件至ts@phei.com.cn,盗版侵权举报请发邮件至dbqg@ophei.com,c
本书咨询联系方式010)51260888819faqg@phei.com.cn

Foreword
Like many popular open source projects, Druid was initially created to solve a problem. We were
trying to build an interactive analytics UI at a small advertising technology startup in San Francisco,
and struggled to find a technology that could rapidly aggregate, slice and dice, and drill down into
massive data sets. Eric Tschetter started the first lines of Druid to tackle this challenge, and that work
has somehow led to an international community forming around the project.
I joined Eric on Druid soon after the project started, and for a while, the Druid world consisted
of only 2 engineers. The first version of Druid was extremely minimalistic; there was a single process
type, the\"compute\"node, and a handful of queries, but the core that was there was just enough to
olve the problems with scale and performance we had at that time
Our Druid cluster in the early yea
aggressively develop features and fix bugs. There were a lot of late nights in those days. I can still
clearly re.C.A.L.L. waking up in the middle of the night to fix an outage, and occasionally cursing loudly
because the only reason the pager went off was because it was out of batteries.
As Druid matured, and as data volumes grew, we continued to face challenges around perfo
mance at scale and operational stability. Running in the then notoriously finicky Amazon Web Ser
vices cloud environment wasn't always easy, and led us to make the decision to break up\"compute
nodes into different components so that individual components could be fine tuned at scale, and any
one component could fail without impacting the functionality of the other components. I am glad
we made those decisions because it led us to sleep much more at night
It has been extremely rewarding to watch the grassroots growth of the open source community
Unlike other popular open source projects, Druid was not developed at a major technology company
or famous research lab. We open sourced the project without much attention, and the first open source
version of the project almost didn't have querying capabilities. We weren't allowed to open source

Foreword
many pieces of the codebase, including most of the queries we developed. The night before officially
announced the project, Eric was up writing Group By queries in a hotel room just so people could
have a way of getting data out of Druid. After we released Druid, the code repository was completely
undocumented and barely functional. I don' t think a single organization tried to use Druid when it
ras first open sourced
I've long lost count of how many companies actually run Druid in production today, but I am
glad people have found value from our work. I was very excited to learn that Qiyun Liu was writing a
book on Druid. I hope through his book, you will learn much more about our project, and learn how
leverage it to bring value to your organization.
Co-Founder, Druid
Co-Founder and CEO, Imply
San francisco, California

#############################################

回复

使用道具 举报

锁住烂漫@ | 2019-12-21 20:06:42 | 显示全部楼层
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则